7 proven tips on how to care and keep your artwork!
Buying an artwork not only brings great joy to your environment but it also brings long-term pleasure because once your artwork is well maintained it will be with you for life. Therefore, paintings require great and appropriate care. Fear not, because today I am bringing seven tips to keep your new artwork as fresh as we can!
7 Tips on How to Care and Keep Your Artwork:
1. Location, Location, Location: Don’t place your beloved artwork above the radiator or beside a window, especially in the winter! Think of it like a delicate flower – harsh sunlight and dampness are not a friend of original art. Find a cool, dry spot with diffused light, like a shady corner. Definitely mind the sun when it comes to your painting as you want to preserve its tones and hues of paint for many years to come.
2. Framing Guidance: A good frame can elevate your artwork. But choose wisely! Opt for archival-quality materials (avoid plastic) and consider the style of your piece. A chunky oak frame might overpower a delicate watercolour, while a sleek metal one could clash with a bold acrylic. Find a frame that complements and enhances your artwork.
Choosing a good framer and listening to the artist’s advice for framing choice can be helpful. I am lucky to have an in-house framer in my studio block who has been framing my paintings for years and therefore intimately understands the best way to frame my work. His name is James, you can message him here.. link.. (https://art-bench.com/)
3. Clean Carefully: I only recommend a gentle dusting with a soft, dry microfiber cloth, if you really think it needs it. No water or cleaning solutions!
4. Temperature: Extreme temperatures can be harmful for paintings. Please try to keep it in a climate-controlled space. If you have no choice, consider using curtains or perhaps UV-protection.
5. Hanging: Use proper picture hanging hardware that can support the weight of your artwork. Never use only one nail.
6. Packing: If you are moving your artwork, paintings are very fragile and require careful handling during packing and transportation. Use acid-free paper and bubble wrap, and pack it snugly in a sturdy box. Remember, cardboard castles won’t protect your art from furniture removals! Also, try to keep it upright and not at a angle. Martin at Atelier Sturgess …link… https://www.ateliersturgess.com/ bespoke packages and sends my work around the world. I would definitely recommend his services if you are in need!
7. Insurance: Are you concerned about your artwork and its safety? Consider insuring your valuable investment then. We hope that nothing will happen but having insurance provides peace of mind and financial protection.
I hope you have found my guidance helpful. If you follow this advice, you will be able to cherish your paintings for many years to come! Thanks for reading, Aisling
If you need further help on how to care and keep your artwork don’t hesitate on contacting me.